Friday, September 01, 2006

Natan's first day of school

Natan's Quotes of the Day

"I am going to move to
Iowa and work, O.k.?" Natan exlaims.
"Oh, When?" I ask
"Now," Natan says
"What about school?" I say
"I am all done with school,
I am going to work!" Natan announces
"What will you do then?"
"Make money." he responds firmly
"How?" I ask
"By working." Natan says
"What kind of work will you do then?"
"I will do work that makes money?"
"You will have to choose something,
like Opa is a doctor, Oma a dentist,
Papa builds houses, mama a designer,
Hendrik works with airplanes and space,
so what will you do?" I explain
"None of those things, umm," he thinks...
"what does Pauline do?"
(Natan’s best friend Max’s mama)

"She writes books." I say
"That is what I want to do write books!" he decides
"Wow, that is a great job I think." I say excited
"What is spiderman’s job?" he says not satisfied
"Well, when he is spiderman, he helps people,
but that is not really his job." I respond
"No, when he is not Spiderman?"
"I think he is a journalist." I answer
"What is that?" Natan asks
"Actually also a type of writer."
"Oh, that is it then I will be a writer!"
(after this discussion I am told Spiderman is actually a photographer,
but I am still excited about the idea of Natan the writer!)

September 1st is the first day of school all over Belgium, as long as it falls on a weekday, even Friday. So, yesterday was Natan’s first day back and he was elated to find out that Charlotte, his reason for wearing nice shirts, was back. He was worried all summer that she was going to go to the big school this year and no matter how many times I said "No, I think she is still in your class." He wouldn’t believe it till he saw it.

No comments: