Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The space between



In an earlier post I mentioned the distance from our front door to Oma and Opa's back door. Well, now I will explain this distance. See the above photo? That is it! The distance I mean. We live in the former horse stables behind Pieter's parents house. We share a garden (yard), main entrance, mailbox, their basement (a bit of wine. Shhh!) and spur of the moment dinners when one or the other has to little or to much food.

This is a very special relationship that has been more than four years in the making. Of crouse there has been many awkward moments and many people are amazed by this arrangement, but I have to say for all of us especially Natan and Kai it is brilliant. For Natan it is probably most perfect as he can decide at any moment to go to Oma’s (if she is home) and he can go alone, which makes him feel very grown up. For me it makes days easier because I can have some much-needed alone time and not feel to guilty. For Oma it is wonderful as well because she is always ready to play.

It is also nice for Pieter and I as his father is a doctor and mother a dentist, so we can ask loads of questions and get free advice. They get design and home improvement help from us. (as you can see in the design of the garden that we finished this summer) So, I think we are all settling in quite nicely with each other.

I remember when I was growing up spending a little bit of everyday up on my Grandparent’s farm, which was walking distance from our house, with many of my cousins. I always wished this for my children, but I guess I never dreamed it might happen in Brussels, Belgium.

1 comment:

isobel said...

Hey the garden's looking really cool, looks like lots of fun to play in, you should get a 'flying fox' from oma's to your place.